Stair Nosings reduce slips and trips on stairs, ladders and inclined slopes. Stair nosings are otherwise known stair treads, anti-slip nosings, non-slip nosings and stair edging.
They are available in a wide range of materials and configurations to suit all your needs:
- FRP (Fibre Re-Inforced Plastic) is a hard-wearing material similar to fibreglass. It is suitable for indoor and outdoor use. It is our most economical stair nosing option and it's one-piece construction makes it easy and quick to install.
- Aluminium Extrusion is our best selling stair nosing - Supplied as two pieces - the aluminium extrusion and the non-slip insert. We offer a top-of-the-line Pro Step version (recommended) available in two retrofit sizes and 4 insert types, or an Economy Aluminium option available in one size. These stair nosings are both suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
- We also offer a range of steel-backed Angle Plate and Ladder Rungs for heavy-duty industrial applications.
The building code of Australia specifies that in any new developments, and in all major refurbishments, all stairways (with the exception of fire stairway) must comply with Clause 11 of Australian Standard AS1428.1.
This Standard specifies the following points*:
- Stair nosings must not project beyond the face of the riser.
- Stair nosings must be continuous across the full width of the stair tread.
- Stair nosings must include a luminance contrast strip that provides a strong visual distinction between the stair and the nosing - contrast must be at least 30% respective to the stair's background material.
*These points are intended as an initial aid only. Further laws and regulations exist regarding stair nosing in Australia and each State and Territory.